The largest group of dwellings lies along the village street towards the centre of the parish. In 1586 the road was called Newton, changed to Nether Street by 1664. At the eastern end the houses are mostly on the south side, while the buildings are on the north side at the western end. A smaller settlement, called Rowhedge hamlet in 1586 apparently stood by Church field, close to the church and Lordship Farm and near the southern boundary of the parish. The hamlet of Northo to the north west probably existed by 1200 and survived in name until c 1800, but by 1841 Northway, as it was then called, had only two houses. No buildings remained by 1950. A settlement by the Horseheath road at Mill Street, renamed Mill Green by 1664, was recorded by 1493 and styled a hamlet in 1793. Nosterfield was recorded indirectly in 1086 and directly by c 1130.
For two hundred years the number of dwellings in the parish scarcely changed being about 40 in the 1660's and still only 41 in 1811. By 1831 new building brought the number of houses to 73 and it then remained relatively constant until the 1950's.
The Hearth Tax entries for the village of Shudie Campes have been transcribed here.
|Census||Inhab House||Uninhab House||Families||Males||Females||Total|