Directories and Descriptions
Extract from 'Magna Britannia - Cambridgeshire'
by Daniel & Samuel Lysons, first published 1808.
SHUDY-CAMPS, in ancient records, called Shudee-Camps, and Scode-Camps, adjoins to Castle-Camps, being 14 miles south-east of Cambridge, and about 13 south of Newmarket : it was sometimes called Parva-Camps; and appears to have acquired its present name form the family of Shudee, who, in ancient times, possessed the manor, and gave the hamlet of Northoe to the monks of Ely.
The manor of Shudy-Camps was held by the family of Hanchet, in the reigns of King Edward I. and King Edward II. of the family of Playz, as heirs of the Montfichets : at a later period, it was successively in the families of Cholmeley and Bentley : it is now the property of Marmaduke Dayrell, Esq. In whose family it has been ever since about the middle of the seventeenth century. The manor-house, now the seat of Mr. Dayrell, was built by his grandfather, Sir Marmaduke.
The manor of Shardelowes was conveyed in the reign of Edward III. by the abbot and convent of Waltham Holy-Cross, to John Shardelowe, Joan his wife, and Thomas his brother, in exchange for manors in Essex ; it is probably the same that was given (by the name of the Manor of Shudy-Camps,) by John Methwold, and others, to the master and chaplains of a chantry at Thomeston, now Thompson, in Norfolk. Subsequently to this, there have been two manors called Shardelowes Mynotts, and Shardelowes Alingtons; the former was for many years in the family of Bridge, from which it passed by marriage to Huffey, and after an intermediate alienation, was purchased in 1801 by Mr Dayrell. Shardelowes Alingtons, which it is probable belonged to Lord Alington's family, has passed by inheritance, with other Cambridgeshire estates, from Charles Duke of Somerset to the Earl of Aylesford.
In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Thomas Higham, Esq. had a manor in this parish called Jaques, and a capital messuage called Mascalls.
The Manor of Nosterfield-Priors, which was given about the year 1230 to the priory of Hatfield-Regis, in Essex, by Robert Earl of Oxford, is now the property of Mr. Dayrell, having been purchased by his father of Lord Leigh. Nosterfield and Northoe are two small hamlets belonging to Shudy-Camps : Northoe is held by Lord Aylesford under the Dean and Chapter of Ely.
In the parish church are some monuments of the Dayrell family. The rectory, which had been appropriated to Waltham Abbey by Julian, daughter of Jeffrey de Sude-Camps, is now vested in the master and fellows of Trinity College in Cambridge, who are patrons of the vicarage.
It appears, by the returns made under the act of parliament
for ascertaining the population of this kingdom in 1801, that there were
51 houses in Shudy-Camps, of which all were inhabited ; the total number
of inhabitants, is stated to be 349,living as 59 families.
Kelly's Directory, 1937.- Cambridgeshire, page 234
A village & parish on the borders of Suffolk and Essex, 21/2 miles east from Bartlow station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the London & North-Eastern railway - rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of St Mary built originally about the year 1060. Shudy Camps Park is the seat of the Rev. Canon Thornton. The mansion standing in the park is a substantial edifice of red brick. Mr E.W. Brown is the principal landowner....The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,362 acres; the population in 1931 was 268....
Kingzett, Maj. Eric Paul, Shardilows Cottage
Thornton, Rev. Canon Frederick Ferdinand Martin S.,F.R.G.S., J.P. (vicar) Shudy Camps Park
COMMERCIAL: with farm 150 acres or over -
Blackmore, Wm. farmer, Street Farm
Brown, Reginald. Ernest, farmer, Priory Farm
Haverhill Cooperative Society's Farm (Geo. Wm. Hammond, baliff) Nosterfield End
Holly Tree Inn (Herbt Cordon)
Kiddy, Ernest Jn., farmer Carters Farm
Kiddy, May Marjorie (Mrs) shopkeeper & post office, Ashdon 35
Kingzett, Paul farmer, Shardilows & Cardinals farms. Ashdon 24
Newman Lot, farmer Goodwoods
Three Horse Shoes P.H. (Wilm. Stringer)
Tilbrook, James Duke, farmer, Lordship Farm.