Joseph Rooks was born on 20 Feb 1819 in Castle
Camps and was baptized in the parish church of All Saints on 11 Apr 1819.
He was the second son of Abraham and Fanny and seems to have lived all
his life in the village.
Some of his descendants met in Castle Camps in June 2000....
Joseph married his 24 year old bride Jane Taylor on 22 Mar 1845 when he was 26. She was the youngest child and sixth daughter of William Taylor and Sarah Rookes. (Jane was born on 30 Apr 1820 in Castle Camps, baptized on 18 Jun 1820, and died on 1 Feb 1892). Her parents had their marriage banns called in Castle Camps in 1798, and Sarah was stated to be of Withersfield, Suffolk. I have been looking for some record of her birth but none looks as likely as that of Sarah, daughter of Francis and Ann baptised in 1784 in Castle Camps. If this is right then Joseph married his cousin.
Joseph and Jane had 8 children - seven sons and a daughter. The youngest, Mark, died as a baby, but we have good details of the descendants of the others.
Taylor Rooks was born on 5 Jul 1845, was baptized on 9 Nov 1845,
died on 10 Oct 1921 and was buried on 15 Oct 1921 in Castle Camps. He
married secondly,Elizabeth WENHAM and had 10 children in total.
(Contact his descendant Bob)
- Job Rooks was born on 4 Nov 1847, was baptized on 11 Jun 1848 and died on 13 Jun 1906 in Farcet,Hun. He married Ann Elizabeth SCRIMSHAW in 1875 in Yorkshire and had 12 children. (Contact his descendants David or Paul)
- Solomon George Rooks was born on 5 Mar 1850, was baptized on 7 Jun 1850 and died in 1908 in Dundee,Scotland. He married Elizabeth NEILSON in 1877 and had 7 children.
- Absalom John Rooks was born on 31 Oct 1852, was baptized on 25 Dec 1854 and died on 21 Apr 1924 in New Plymouth, New Zealand. He married Mary Ann STEWART in 1877 in Dundee and had 9 children. (Contact his descendant Marlene)
- Sampson Rooks was born in 1856 in Castle Camps and emigrated to Queensland, Australia where he died in 1917, as Samuel Rooks.
- Mary Mahala Rooks was born on 24 Feb 1859 and was baptized on 14 Aug 1859. She married John George STARNS in London in 1885.
- Joseph Rooks was born on 26 Jul 1862 and was baptized on 21 Sep 1862. It seems that he was baptised as William Richard, but later known as Joseph. He married Emily WATSON in 1885 and they had 6 known children.
- Mark Rooks was born on 25 Apr 1866 at Camps Endway, was baptized on 10 May 1866 in Castle Camps,and died on 10 Jun 1866.
Joseph died on 22 Mar 1876 in Castle Camps,and was buried on 25 Mar 1876. He was 57 years old. Jane his wife died at the age of 71 in 1892.
Parents: Abraham & Fanny