Grace Rooks was baptised on 18 Mar 1792 in Castle Camps and married Edward Cowell (son of William COWELL and his wife Lydia (nee HAYLOCK)) on 24 Mar 1810 in Colchester St Leonard. She died in 1833 and was buried on 27 Jun 1833 in Castle Camps.
Edward was born about 1780, was baptised on 7 Jan 1781 at All Saints. He served in the 20th Regiment of Foot, enlisting in 1799, and discharged in 1815. He was 33 years of age on discharge. A published regimental history of the 20th Foot states that this regiment was named the East Devonshire Regiment of Foot. The history says the regiment was recruiting up to the summer of 1799 (when Edward enlisted), and received many volunteers from Militias in counties including Cambridge. Two battalions were formed and then the regiment embarked for Holland. In 1800 the regiment embarked for Ireland, and were stationed in Cork. There was then an expedition against Belle Isle, followed by Minorca. His final muster, taken in 1815 shows he was discharged on 2nd February 1815. The regiment was stationed at Waterford then, however, Edward was at the Depot on the Isle of Wight at the time of the previous muster. Edward's record in the Chelsea pension books shows him admitted on 2nd February 1815 with a "gun shot wound of the thigh". His trade as "Labourer", and he was 5'7 1/2" tall with black hair, hazel eyes, and a swarthy complexion.Edward died on 5 Jun 1866 in East London and was buried on 10 Jun 1866 in Castle Camps.
They had the following children
- Abraham Rooks Cowell was born on 30 Apr 1813 in Castle Camps and was baptised on 6 Jun 1813. His baptism record states does not state that he was "spurious" - a term the minister of the time used at other baptisms - but his descendants continue the double-barrelled surname. He is the only one of this family to be so named.
- Lydia Cowell was born on 19 Mar 1816 and baptised on 9 May 1816 in Castle Camps. She married Peter Ward on 3 Nov 1850 at All Saints.
- Sarah Cowell was born on 23 May 1818 and was baptised on 12 Jul 1818 in Castle Camps. We think she married Samuel Hall on 14 Oct 1834 in Cambridge St Giles.
- Edward Cowell was born on 19 Aug 1820 in Castle Camps and baptised on 1 Oct 1820.
- Ann Cowell was born on 20 Apr 1823 in Castle Camps,CAM and was baptised on 1 Jun 1823.
- Jane Elizabeth Cowell was baptised on 18 Jun 1830 in Castle Camps. She married John BARKER, son of William BARKER on 25 Dec 1849 in Castle Camps.
Abraham Rooks Cowell married Deborah Webb, daughter of Samuel Webb and Catherine ANDREWS, on 8 May 1841 in Castle Camps (Deborah Webb was baptised on 25 Jul 1819 in Castle Camps and died on 13 Dec 1902.) They had the following children:
- Lydia Cowell was baptised on 12 Jul 1840 in Castle Camps and was buried on 11 Jun 1841.
- Lydia Cowell was baptised on 8 Oct 1843 in Castle Camps and was buried on 10 Apr 1852.
- John Cowell was baptised on 24 Nov 1845 in Castle Camps.
- Jane Rooks was baptised on 11 Apr 1847 in Castle Camps. She married William Leonard, son of James Leonard and Margaret, on 3 Dec 1870 in Castle Camps.
- Grace Rooks was baptised on 14 Oct 1849 in Castle
Camps and was buried on 18 May 1851.
Abraham Rooks was baptised on 25 Dec 1853 in Castle Camps.
- Francis Rooks COWELL was baptised on 11 Oct 1857 in Castle Camps and died in 1917 in Castle Camps. Francis married Honor Cowell, daughter of Richard Cowell and Ann, on 25 Dec 1879 in Castle Camps. (Honor Cowell was born in May 1859 in Castle Camps and died on 10 Jul 1949.)
- William Rooks was baptised on 25 Dec 1859 in Castle Camps.He married Harriet Wilson, daughter of Henry Wilson on 15 Nov 1884 in Castle Camps.
- Ann Rooks was baptised on 7 Jun 1853 in Castle Camps.
Edward Cowell married Hannah Webb, daughter of Samuel Webb and Catherine ANDREWS, (and sister of Deborah above!)on 28 Dec 1844 in Castle Camps. Thus two sisters Andrews married two brothers Cowell. Hannah Webb was baptised on 10 Dec 1826 in Castle Camps.
They had the following children:
- Sarah Cowell was baptised on 9 Jun 1845 in Castle Camps.
- Edward Cowell was baptised on 25 Dec 1853 in Castle Camps.
- Ann Cowell was baptised on 10 Sep 1848 in Castle Camps.
- Mary Cowell was baptised on 7 Jun 1850 in Camps Green and was buried on 23 Feb 1851 in Camps Green.
- John Cowell was baptised on 6 Jun 1852 in Camps Green.
- Samuel Webb Cowell was baptised on 25 Dec 1857 in Castle Camps.
- Charles Cowell was baptised on 1 Jan 1860 in Castle Camps and buried on 3 Mar 1860 in Castle Camps.
- Charles Cowell was baptised on 16 Feb 1862 in Castle Camps and died on 7 Mar 1933 in Castle Camps. Charles' wife Sarah died on 10 Jun 1945 in Castle Camps.
- Alice Cowell was born about 1868 in Castle Camps.
- Jane Cowell was born about 1871 in Castle Camps.
Siblings : Abraham
Parents : Francis & Ann