There seem to be two main Greygoose families in our wider area. Thomas and James may have been father and son, but there doesn't seem to be any further information on the widely available sources. Both family groups are summarised here...
Thomas GREYGOOSE married Mary THEAKE 13 July 1772 in Castle Camps. I have found two children for them:
- Elizabeth bp 3 Jan 1773 in Castle Camps
- Thomas bp 21 Feb 1779 in Bartlow
Thomas Junior and his wife Sarah had a large family all baptised in Shudy Camps as follows:
- Josiah GREYGOOSE bp 20 Jul 1806
- Ann GREYGOOSE bp 28 May 1808
- Fanny GREYGOOSE bp 5 Aug 1810 married Amos RAWLINGSON in 1828. Their children may be found here
- Milley GREYGOOSE bp 17 Jan 1813
- Stephen GREYGOOSE bp 23 Apr 1815
- Elizabeth GREYGOOSE bp 23 Nov 1817
- Emma GREYGOOSE bp 25 Feb 1821
- Thomas GREYGOOSE bp 22 Sep 1822
Josiah married Eliza WILSON (daughter of Charles Wilson and his wife Susan nee LISTER) on 8 August 1829 in Shudy Camps. Josiah was a widower living alone in Shudy Camps when the 1881 Census was recorded. All their known children were baptised in Shudy Camps.
- Joseph bp 28 Mar 1820
- Hesther bp 23 Oct 1831
- Joseph bp 16 Feb 1834
- Hester bp 10 Jan 1836
- Milly bp 27 May 1838
- James bp 23 May 1841. This James may be the same as is living in Shudy Camps in the 1881 Census, married to Harriet, with children Ann (1872), Eleana (1875), John (1878) and Thomas (1880), even though the ages don't quite match up.
Thomas GREYGOOSE may be the same as was living in Shudy Camps in the 1881 Census, married to Amelia and with son William aged 10 years. Once again the ages do not quite match with baptism dates. However they did have a duaghter named Sarah Jane, baptised 20 February 1846. later married to James AGER. Thomas was the steward of a benefit society in Shudy Camps, and was taken to task at the Linton Petty Session in 1848 for refusing to pay James Mynott his sick allowance [Cambridge Chronicle and Journal, Saturday 01 January 1848]
James GREYGOOSE (the son of James and Mary nee HODSON) married Ruth BLACKWELL 27 March 1806 in Bartlow. James was buried in Bartlow in 1832. She was the daughter of Thomas BLACKWELL and Jane FREEMAN, baptised 6 Nov 1785. Their family were all baptised in Bartlow as follows:
- Mary GREYGOOSE bp 24 May 1807 married John FINCHAM in Bartlow, 19 Apr 1829
- Thomas GREYGOOSE bp 26 Aug 1810
- Sarah GREYGOOSE bp 26 Jul 181112 married Josiah PORTER in Bartlow 3 Aug 1838
- William GREYGOOSE bp 4 Dec 1814 and was buried in Bartlow in 1843
- George GREYGOOSE bp 10 Aug 1817
- Elizabeth GREYGOOSE bp 30 May 1819. She had a son, Elijah bp 4 Mar 1839.
- James GREYGOOSE bp 24 Nov 1822 but died aged 5 in 1831
- Ann GREYGOOSE bp 2 Jul 1826 married Allen Butler ADAMS
George married Phyllis MARSH (bpt. 28 June 1818 in Ashdon the daughter of Samuel and Phoebe (nee Slogrove) Marsh) and had 9 children as follows:
- Emma c 1845 (in Ashdon, Essex)
- Phillis c 1847, also in Ashdon
- Peter bp 6 Oct 1842 Bartlow
- Willam bp 23 Sep 1843 Bartlow
- Charles bp 9 Dec 1849 Bartlow
- Ann bp 30 Jan 1853 Bartlow
- James bp 23 Nov 1855 Bartlow
- Stephen bp 26 Sep 1858 Bartlow
- George bp 30 Jun 1861 Bartlow
Researcher Vickie Slogrove has a website with connections to this family and with information about the area.