Abraham Rooks 1788-1869
Abraham Rooks was baptized on Sunday 23 Mar 1788 in Castle Camps and died on Saturday 22 May 1869 in Endway, Castle Camps aged about 85 years. He was buried three days later on 25 May 1869. When his children were born he is often noted in the parish registers as a labourer, but in 1851 was listed as a woodman.
When he was about 31, he married Frances (Fanny) Cowland, the youngest child of John Cowland and his wife Elizabeth Reader, on 27 Oct 1815 in Castle Camps,CAM. (Frances Cowland was baptized on 2 Nov 1795 in Castle Camps and was buried on 24 Nov 1867 also in Castle Camps.)
They had a large family of seven sons and four daughters, all born in Castle Camps:
- Francis was born on 14 Aug 1817, emigrated to Australia and died there in 1899.
- Joseph was born on 20 Feb 1819 and died in Castle Camps on 22 Mar 1876.
- Sarah was born on 20 Jun 1821 and died in Castle Camps on 5 Jan 1899
- Ann was born on 19 Dec 1822 and was buried on 27 Jul 1851 in Castle Camps. She married Charles BRETTON on St Georges Day 1843 but died in 1851 aged only 28. There don't appear to have been any children.Charles remarried Hannah FREE on 16 November 1851.
- Abraham was born on 17 Aug 1824 and died on 1 Sep 1889 in Vermont, Nunawading, Vic, Australia.
- Isaac was baptized on 4 Mar 1826 and died in 1902 in Diamond Creek, Vic, Australia.
- Elizabeth was baptized on 25 Jul 1829 and was buried on 9 Dec 1852 in Castle Camps.
- Fanny was baptized on 31 Jul 1831. She had a daughter, Fanny Georgina, in 1861 and was noted as Fanny Rooks, now Himber, in the childs baptism entry. She married Thomas HUMBER and lived in London with their three children. She died aged 78 in 1910.
- Jacob was baptized on 9 Jun 1833 in Castle Camps and died in 1917 in Glenlyon, Vic, Australia.
- Adam Rooks was baptized on 21 Jun 1835 and died on 29 Aug 1858 in Castle Camps.
- Robert Rooks was baptized on 19 Feb 1837 in Castle Camps and died on 17 Apr 1838 in Camps Endway.
Abraham and Fanny were married for 52 years and saw 4 of their children die before them and another 4 emigrate to Australia. Only Joseph, Fanny and Sarah remained in England.
Siblings : Grace
Parents : Francis & Ann