It seems that the manor of Bartlow was considered part of Castle Camps in 1086 but by 1235 Ralph of Ashdon and Maurice of Bartlow held 1 knights fee in Bartlow. Bartlow village is in Cambridgeshire but Bartlow End (Steventon) is considered to be in Essex. Check out the map.....
It has always been a small parish but various trades have been recorded other then agriculture. There were two alehouses in 1682, a malting house in 1819, and brewers and maltsters noted in the 1840s and 1850s. in 1843 and 1844 the Bartlow Malting was owned by Messers Bryant and Giblin of Swaffham.
Notable houses in the parish appear to have been Bartlow Hall - later Bartlow Hall Farm and the Rectory House. Bartlow House, to the north of the churchyard on the Linton-Camps Road was under seperate ownership from the manor by 1768. Further details of these houses and their occupants can be found by choosing Locations from the Other Pages menu above.
In 1832 excavations of the Bartlow Hills produced some amazing finds from the Romano British era between AD 60 and AD 400. Enormous quantities of grave goods of every type and of high quality were found only to be lost when fire razed their storage place, Easton Lodge, in 1847.
The Granta valley was one of the most populated areas in this time with settlements at Linton, Bartlow, and Horseheath. The photo below shows one of the Bartlow Hills - barrow burial mounds.
In the baptisms 1813-1839 in Parish Registers of nearby Ashdon (Essex) there is a note in the back concerning a stone chest situated at the end of the grass walk on the west side of the Rectory Garden alleged to have been taken out of the Bartlow Hills in 1827.
More information may be found here:
BBC News - Largest Burial mounds north of the Alps
University of Reading - Bartlow Hills
David Binns - Paper on the Bartlow Hills (with video)