Directories and Descriptions
Kelly's Directory 1929
Bartlow is a small village and parish, near the road from Cambridge to Haverhill; it is the junction station of the lines from Haverhill and Saffron Walden to Cambridge on the London and North Eastern way, and is 2 miles south-east from Linton, 13 south-east from Cambridge and 49 by rail from London, in the hundred of Chilford, union and patty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The village of Bartlow is in the county of Cambridge, but the hamlet of Bartlow (or Steventon) End, as it is otherwise called, is in the county of Essex; but for ecclesiastical purposes is part of Bartlow.
Near the village are four (formerly six) very remarkable artificial hills, excavated in the years 1832, 1835 and 1838, and described in vols. 25, 26 and 28 of the "Archaeologia," by Rokewood Gage esq. who distinctly proves them to be Roman works; many curious and valuable sepulchral relics, discovered in these hills and deposited at Easton Lodge, near Dunmow, the seat of the Countess of Warwick, were unfortunately lost in the fire by which that mansion was destroyed; these hills are actually in the parish of Ashdon, but are called Bartlow Hills from their being close to that village. Bartlow House is the seat of Charles Gerald Brocklebank esq. M.C. who is the principal landowner. The soil is chalk and gravel; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats beans and barley. The parish contains 377 acres; the population in 1921 was 94 in the civil parish and 216 the ecclesiastical, which extends into Essex. The church of St. Mary, ancient edifice of flint and rubble in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, was partially restored in 1879; it consists of chancel, nave, north porch and circular embattled western tower containing 3 bells : on the south wall of the nave is a fresco of Christopher, the Roman soldier, carrying the infant Saviour over a ford: in 1927 a fresco of 1450 A.D. was discovered on the south wall of the nave, the subject being St. Michael weighing the good and evil deeds of a human soul in a pair of scales : the tower, which is much older than the body of the church, has walls feet in thickness: the chancel retains a piscina and there is another in the south wall of the nave. The church affords 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1573.
Kellys Directory (Essex) 1933
Bartlow Hamlet, or Bartlow End, including part of the village of Ashdon and Steventon End, called in Domesday "Stavintuna," is a civil parish in this county and adjoins Great Bartlow (Cambridgeshire), to which parish the inhabitants pay tithe and rates. At Bartlow in Cambridgeshire is a station on the London and North Eastern railway, 50 miles from London. Waltons, 1½ miles from the parish church, is a mansion in the Tudor style, once occupied by Sir William Maynard, who rebuilt it; it is now the property and. residence of Mrs. Tansley Luddington M.B.E.; the estate derives its name from an ancient and important family. Here are four celebrated harrows, known as the Bartlow Hills, and forming part of the boundary separating this county from Cambridgeshire: they were opened in 1832 and 1835, and were found to contain interesting remains and works of art of Roman workmanship: most of the relics subsequently perished in a fire, but drawings and casts are preserved in the museum at Saffron Walden. A stone trough in the garden at Ashdon rectory is said to have been brought from the Hills (see Archaeologia, vols. xxv, xxix). The area is 1,070 acres; the population in 1931 was 84.