Castle Camps

 

School and Education

Castle Camps School 1908 and 2003

Various early Ely Diocesan records note that there was schooling of a sort in Castle Camps from early times. An unlicensed schoolmaster was recorded in 1579, and 30 children were being taught in 1728. Sunday School was perhaps the first formal schooling given to children in the parish and is recorded in 1807 expanding to 70 pupils by 1818. Benjamin Keene of Westoe and his wife Mary were staunch supporters of education - and in 1818-1836 their paying school had about 26 girl students. The rector in 1818 (Wilfrid Clarke) also had a girls school which was taking paying pupils in 1833. Yet another school, this one for boys also had 28 pupils in 1833. John Ives of Camps Green appears to have been one of the school masters from at least 1826 to 1834.

 

Sunday School

The Sunday School building in the church yard of All Saints at Castle Camps.
Photo courtesy of Marlene Williamson 2010

By 1846 there were two day schools, one each for girls and boys, supported by subscriptions and school pence. John Overhill of Camps Green was a schoolmaster in 1847, possibly the master with 38 pupils and a grant of £25 from the National Society. The schoolmistress taught about 21 pupils. It seems likely that these children were taught in the Sunday School building behind the church.

The rector took responsibility for financing the school and was still paying in 1858. Then in 1863 William COLLIER (bp 1792) gave £50 for the day school, and two years later it was reorganised as a Church of England mixed school, receiving building grants and gifts from Charterhouse, and enabling a new purpose built school house to be built and opened in 1866.

The school was enlarged in 1876 and again in 1886. In 1937 the older children were transferred to Linton village college leaving 34 juniors. This junior day school was taken over bythe council in 1960 and enlarged again to take the children from Shudy Camps.

 

Castle Camps School c 1908

Castle Camps School children c 1908.
Photo courtesy of Greg Wallis, Australia

 

1928

Castle Camps school children 1928

Sunday School
Sunday School

Castle Camps school children before 1930

 

From Parish Records

The following individuals are recorded as either school master, school mistress or teacher.

John IVES

1826, 1834

 

Ann BARKER

1865

John OVERHILL

1847

 

Ellen ARBER

1869

Mary HARROD

1851

 

Ann LEONARD

1881

Hannah CHRISTMAS

1851

 

Kate MYNOTT

1881

Emma FREEMAN

1851

 

Alice COWLING
(pupil teacher aged 15)

1881

Henry IVES

1854

 

Elizabeth LEONARD
(pupil teacher aged 14)

1881

George WELLS

1860

 

Selena TAYLOR

1881

 

Visit the schools website... http://www.castlecampsschool.co.uk/