The Cock Inn - High Street
The Ipswich Journal of 4 July 1761 mentions that 'a Messuage called the COCK in Castle Camps in Cambridgeshire, in the Tenure of William Coot, Copyhold at the Will of the Lord of the Manor of Camps Castle;' ... is to be sold by auction.
Listed in 1869 and in 1881 with incumbent John WELLS. Still going in 1908 with Thomas BALLS, 1929 with Leonard TURNER and one of two pubs in the village today. The fate of the original building is currently unknown but is seems that it was gone by the 1930's and is probably the pub that burnt down. Further research into this event is continuing. The current Cosy Cockerel (previously known as The Cock) was previously "The Fox" - see below.....
- 1851 - Susann Wells, 3 chn, 1 servant & 2 lodgers
- 1881 - John & Jane WELLS, 3 sons
The Fox - High Street
Renamed the Cock when the original Cock (on the corner of High Street and Bartlow Road) was burned down after 1935.
- 1881 - Albert & Catherine CARTER & 2 chn
- 1930 - Arthur JAMES
The George & Dragon - High Street
The publican in 1881 was George Wenham who seems to be still working at this trade in 1900, presumably in the same premises. It seems that the George and Dragon was closed by 1929, and had become a private house, as is now the case.
- 1881 - George & Ann WENHAM & 3 chn
In 1820 the George was owned by the Haverhill Brewery and put up for sale, with all the other properties belonging to the business. It was one of the earliest documented public houses and run by Mary Ann BOWYER in 1869. Henry Bowyer was listed as an inn keeper in Camps Green in the 1851 Census - perhaps this is the same family.By 1881 Walter Wright was the publican, Charles Harding in 1900, William Cooper in 1908, Samuel Copper in 1929 - and then no further mention. The photo shows the private dwelling that was previously The George.
- 1851 - Henry & Mary A BOWER & 5 chn
- 1881 - Walter & Maria WRIGHT
The Castle is first listed in the 1881 Census as the dwelling place of publican Charles BARRETT, however he is also listed as a beer retailer in the 1869 Kelly's directory so we may assume that the Castle existed at least 12 years earlier than documented in the above sources. A member of the Barrett family was selling beer in 1900 - perhaps Mark Barrett who was doing the same in 1908. By 1929 William AGER was the publican at the Castle until at least 1935.
The New Inn
First listed in 1908 with publican Percival Keeble - seemingly the son of a Suffolk Draper and Shop Keeper. It doubled as a bakers and is not listed anywhere else. Ten to fifteen years ago it was renamed the Camps Castle but is now split into houses.
The Poplars - Camps End
Run by William (Bill) and Elizabeth (Betsy) Rooks, possibly at least from 1900 to c. 1920. Further information is lacking.
This building is about to be renovated....