RAF Castle Camps
The area to the south east of the parish was requisitioned by the Air Ministry in 1939 and became operational as RAF Castle Camps in 1940. Concrete runways were extant by 1941 and many administrative, accommodation and workshop buildings were built.
The airfield was closed in 1946 and by 1953 was fields once more, although the perimeter road still exists and an aerial survey on 1996 showed the soil marks of the former runways and other features still apparent.
There is a large amount of information about the Castle Camps Air Force base available on the web, and rather than rephrase what is already written links to these sites are provided below.
Movements of the 225th AAA S/L Bn in Great Britain: Castle Camps - lots of photos here
Royal Airforce Fighter Command- Battle of Britain - a small reference to Castle Camps