The small Cambridgeshire village of Castle Camps and the surrounding villages of Shudy Camps , Bartlow , Horseheath and West Wickham have special significance because our forefathers lived there.
These pages provide historical information about the area and links to family and area histories.
On Saturday 25 October, the names of Private Charles COWELL (22 years) and F Wenham (either Frank, Lance Corporal aged 20, or Fred, Private aged 25) will be read out at the Tower of London as part of the Roll of Honour.
27 men from Castle Camps didn't come home in 1918.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
- Please visit Alan's wonderful slideshow of old Castle Camps photos on the Haverhill history web site
- I am rewriting this website (slowly) so please bear with me as I redo and add the pages.
- We now have a Facebook page named Castle Camps History- share your photos and visit memories
- Lookups of the Congregational Church registers - email me
- I am happy to do lookups upon request. Please email me with as much information as possible to enable me to look for the correct person.
- Castle Camps and Bartlow have their own village websites. Follow the links to see what happens in the villages today. My special thanks to Alan Hardy of Castle Camps and Greg Wallis in Australia for their support and generosity in sharing photos